Friday, March 4, 2011

Om Nom Nom; Food: Part 4

Food, once again! There weren't a lot of new food options this week.. And we managed to keep it pretty simple while shopping :)


Starting with what the school fed us:

This is like.. I don't really know. Almost like cabbage mixed in a reddish sauce and stuffed into mashed potatoes and then fried? Hahaha, but anyway, it looks like this inside:

and it wasn't bad. Fact: it was delicious. It probably would have been even better if we weren't too lazy to walk ALL THE WAY to the microwave and zap it for a few seconds. The microwave is like a whole 10 feet away though.. Life is so hard sometimes.

This is very typical for us. Meat and rice rolled up in cabbage, plain rice, and fresh tomato/cabbage/cucumber salad. Yum.

This. Was. SO. Good. Seriously, just yesterday Audrey and I wanted chili so bad that we contemplated buying stuff from the store and taking over our kitchen for a few hours, but then we were presented with this for lunch today! It's a little bowl of stuff that resembled chili and a serving of rice. Ok, probably more than a typical "serving", but, hey, we're working hard and we're hungry.
I would much rather have had noodles instead of rice (like Grandpa used to make..), but I'm not about to complain. Seriously delicious. Need more.

We should eventually calculate how rich we're making the grocery stores around here. If they were smart, they would raise the prices on chocolate and they'd make a killing.


Hello, delicious. These are exactly like the chocolate covered gingerbread cookies from a few food posts ago, but they're filled with fig jam. Do I actually need to tell you guys that these taste good, or have you figured this out already?

TEA! we have finally given ourselves the thumbs up to go buy more tea. We've been though 4 boxes of tea since we've been here, and this will be the next. We were really tired on Thursday morning and we were taking a short nap in our 5 minute break between groups when our coordinator saw us and handed us tea. No protest from us.. And we instantly knew which tea we'd be picking up on the way home.

We've also been eating a lot of Ukrainian Ramen. This is probably more unhealthy than the chocolate. It's made the same way as normal Ramen that comes in cups, but we heat up water the same way as making tea, and then we combine them in a bowl with a cute little pan lid:

Then we wait 3 minutes and devour. Also, notice the bread in this picture. Haha, more bread, of course.

Cookie/cracker things. Crackers on the outside, cookies on the inside. Crackies?

Pineapple cookies. They taste good, but not like pineapples.

And stuff from the host mom:

This awesome salad showed up in front of us one night. I don't remember what exactly was in it, all I remember was that I went back for seconds. One of the best tasting things ever.  Beets (of course), beans?, bell peppers?, PICKELS, onions?, dill.. I have no idea, but it was amazing.

 Bread with.. custard? Oh my gosh, what is wrong with my memory? I don't know what this is, but it was good. Hahaha, sorry :)

Aside from all this, we've been eating our pesto. It hasn't lasted as long as we had hoped. It didn't make it past last Sunday. Oops.

1 comment:

  1. always an interesting post, keep up the good posting!

    ReplyDelete